Sunday, July 9, 2017

Sunday July 9th

Today was full of travel!

Going forward with the week I am looking forward to indulging in a new culture and learning about the ways of the Indians.  I am also excited to be able to not only compare their ways with ours back home, but with the way Mission Hospital operates. I am nervous of traveling through the hills, as my stomach is weak and the hills always get to me. Outside of the travel I am most nervous of potentially offending someone. One thing the children of the area receive is the Juvenile Services Program. This program helps hold the juvenile offenders accountable for their actions to their victims and the community. There is also a Project Challenge which helps "shape" the youth into respectable members of society using their talents through the use of challenging recreational activities (Juvenile. 2017.) My boyfriend and his mother's side of the family are actually Alaskan Native American's so I have been immersed in some of their cultural ways. I also follow some Native American pages on social media because the topic is very interesting to me of how they do things. I believe we all have stereotypes and prejudices weather we notice it or not. Personally I have a strong connection with animals, I am a die hard animal lover and I do rescue work so I have very strong beliefs on how animals should be raised and kept. We may not see their pets, if any, but if I hear stories I'll have to set it aside in my mind and accept it as a different way of life. I also feel like there's a certain way to treat elders in the community, not just your family. I always find it hard to watch someone harass or poorly treat an older family member. These people should be seen as wise and a solid source of wisdom for the youth. 

Looking forward to a new day tomorrow of orientation and getting to see the village!

Reference

Juvenile Services Program. (2017). Retrieved July 09, 2017, from http://www.cherokee-hmd.com/juvenile-services/index.html
 Juvenile Services Program. (2017). Retrieved July 09, 2017, from http://www.cherokee-hmd.com/juvenile-services/index.html
Juvenile Services Program. (2017). Retrieved July 09, 2017, from http://www.cherokee-hmd.com/juvenile-services/index.html
Juvenile Services Program. (2017). Retrieved July 09, 2017, from http://www.cherokee-hmd.com/juvenile-services/index.html

4 comments:

  1. This is awesome hun!
    Please keep me posted on ur amazing experiences
    I have an alcohol pamphlet I am going to send u pictures of
    That might help
    Is for Indian's and is really neat to read
    A lot of native Americans suffer from alcoholism
    It's really to sad
    I pray u can be that person with angles wings to help them all
    They will always remember the angle that touched their hearts!! :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathleen, I love that you're taking the initiative to learn more about a different Native American culture than the one your boyfriend has brought into your life! I had some of the same feelings as you did coming into this trip about the anxiousness of offending someone. I am interested in learning about the Juvenile Services Program more because we have not touched on that yet so maybe it's coming up soon, I'm so happy we all have this opportunity to learn together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing about your passions and interest in the Native American culture. It will be interesting to discuss with his family what you have learned. The NUKA model of health care that was utilized at CIHA was from Alaskan natives.

    ReplyDelete